Have a question? Call us now

0191 262 0305

We are open Mon-Sat

Mon - Sat 10:00 - 16:00

Drop us an email


Urgent Medical Help

If you or someone you know are at immediate risk of harm call 999

For urgent medical help please contact your local GP if possible or call the NHS service on 111

Urgent Emotional Help

If you need someone to talk to urgently and in confidence (for example if you are depressed and/or are having suicidal thoughts)

Call the Samaritans on 116123 (available 24 hours a day). You can also email the Samaritans if you prefer at jo@samaritans.org
Both are free, 24/7 confidential services that can provide people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress, or those around them, with support, information, and local resources.

Non-urgent Emotional Help

Tell someone you trust. You may find it helpful to talk to your partner, a relative or a friend about your problems. They may be concerned about you and welcome the opportunity to hear what you have to say. If this is not possible, you may prefer to talk to someone else you can trust, like a faith leader or a tutor.

Your GP may be the first person you talk to about your mental health problems. If you have a good relationship with your doctor, you may find it helpful just to know there is someone you can talk to about the feelings you are having. Your GP may refer you to specialist services if he/she feels they will help you.

If you are unhappy with your own doctor, you can ask to see another doctor at the same practice or can visit a different practice within your area. If you are unsure where to find other doctor’s surgeries, use the ‘Find a local health service’ search facility on the NHS Choices website.

Other ways of getting help

Here is a list of other key organisations offering information and support, including helplines and local services for people affected by mental health problems.

Anxious Minds   – North East only Offers advice and support to service users.professional person centred talking therapies

Email ::info@anxiousminds.co.uk  Telephone: 0191 262 0305

Mind: Mind offers advice and support to service users. They have a network of local associations in England and Wales to which people can turn for help and assistance. More information can be found on the Mind website: www.mind.org.uk or Telephone: 03001233393 or Text: 86463 or Email Mind: info@mind.org.uk

Rethink: Rethink is a national charity which provides information, advocacy plus a network of local groups and community services for people with severe mental illnesses and their carers. More information can be found on the Rethink web site: www.rethink.org or Tel: 03005000927 or Email Rethink info@rethink.org

Scottish Association for Mental Health: SAMH is the biggest mental health organisation in the voluntary sector in Scotland. It operates a range of services across Scotland for people with mental health problems. It also strives to influence public policy. More information can be found on the SAMH website www.samh.org.uk or Tel: 0141 5301000 or Email SAMH enquire@samh.org.uk

Young Minds: Young Minds provides information and advice for anyone with concerns about the mental health of a child or young person. More information at the Young Minds website www.youngminds.org.uk. You can speak to their experts on their Parents Helpline on 0808 802 5544.

Specialist services Most people recover from mental health problems without needing to go into hospital. There are a number of specialist services which provide various treatments, including counselling and other talking treatments. You may also need help with other aspects of your life, for example claiming benefits or dealing with housing problems. Often these different services are co-ordinated by a Community Mental Health Team (CMHT).

CMHTs are usually based either at a hospital or a local community mental health centre. Some teams provide 24 hour services so that you can contact them in a crisis. If you are already in contact with a CMHT you may find it useful to keep their number by your phone in case you need it. Otherwise you should be able to contact your local CMHT via your local social services or social work team.

To find out more, visit the mental health section of the NHS England’s website. The Northern Ireland Government website has a useful guide to the different roles of mental health professionals.

You may also find it helpful to contact your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau www.citizensadvice.org.uk for advice about benefits, debt problems, legal issues and local services. The Citizens Advice website has a directory of bureau.

Please also use the Mental Health Forum to get help. People here will be able to share their own experiences and knowledge and help you find what works best for you. Often you need to try a few different approaches to find one which suits you.